What is work-life balance?
Work-life balance this is an extremely topical and close topic to me. Regardless of whether you work in a corporation, you have your own business, or you are full-time moms – it’s worth reading this post and treating it as part of our “Strengthen Yourself!” Challenge. Remember that not only physical health, but also mental health have an impact on our generally known well-being and can bring you harmony.
How to work, be a parent, feel fulfilled on a professional and private level, and at the same time not burn out, not feel guilty towards your loved ones and yourself? Do you often take care of your home and work, forgetting yourself? If so, believe me, it’s nothing special. Probably each of us is struggling with such problems nowadays.
Our ambitions or comparing ourselves with others in social media can make us complex and wind a spiral of striving for perfection in every area of life, which makes us lose sight of our priorities. Do you sometimes feel broken because you are faced with the choice of a job, me or my family?
The end of the year is approaching, a time for summaries, reflections and setting new goals. One of my goals is just work-life balance. You will find out how common this problem is by listening to your relatives, friends and reading scientific publications. Today I am going to share with you my thoughts and the resources that I used to learn about it.
Balance between personal, family and work life is a state in which we are able to deal with the internal conflict between the requirements of our time in such a way that our needs are met and we have a sense of fulfillment.
Nauka o work-life balance
In the world of women, we can talk about work-life balance for a short time. When women’s professional work has become everyday life, and we, women, achieve unquestionable successes at work. But isn’t babysitting also a job? Shouldn’t we be talking about the balance between caring for family and time for ourselves, our partner and friends? The golden mean will be different for everyone. Italian researchers from the University of Milano-Bicocca, who studied 318 employees, came to interesting conclusions. The respondents believed that health is as important to them as the family. Job satisfaction varied. Factors such as age, gender and parental status had a major influence on these results. The study highlights the importance of health in work-life balance and emphasizes that when considering work-life balance, it is crucial to take into account the specificity of various groups of employees.
How to achieve balance?
It is not easy to spare time for yourself and take care of your health. I recommend a short questionnaire that helped me create an appropriate hierarchy of values and define goals.
- How much time do I spend working a day?
- How much time do I want to spend on work every day?
- Does my job give me satisfaction?
- How much time do I spend on myself a day?
- Do I do something for my health during the day and what are the activities (yoga, meditation, exercise, regular check-ups, healthy diet, care, relaxation, rest, etc.)?
- How much time do I spend with children and how do we spend our time, do I give them all my attention?
- How much time do I spend with my partner, can I and want to change it?
- Do I have time for my friends and relatives, how often do I talk to them, spend time with them?
You won’t find a simple scoring and an easy score here. Each of you should find your way. Interesting conclusions in her master’s thesis were reached by a student of the Jagiellonian University, who studied 70 corporate employees before the age of 35, the vast majority of whom were women. More than half of the respondents declared a balance between private and professional life. Nevertheless, the respondents felt the negative effects of chronic stress, had difficulty falling asleep, felt irritable, with almost 62% of people admitting that they sometimes work during illness. Research shows that the respondents value their work to such an extent that they diminish the influence of professional life on their health and relationships with loved ones.
An interesting model for reconciling work and family life has been proposed by Polish researchers, and it includes, among others:
- Promoting flexible forms of employment and the organization of working time.
- Increasing access to childcare facilities (nurseries, kindergartens, babysitters).
- Promotion of greater male involvement in family functions.
- Preventing the obsolescence of parents’ professional qualifications during a break resulting from the performance of family obligations.
What are the conclusions from here? If you have such an opportunity, it is worth negotiating a flexible schedule at work, and when looking for a new job, pay attention to whether the working hours suit you and establish appropriate working conditions with the employer. Seeking support in childcare is also a must have for working parents. If you do not have a wonderful grandmother by your side, maybe it is worth sending the children to kindergarten / nursery? We, women, often feel anxious about entrusting childcare not only to a babysitter, but also to our partner. Are you also affected by this problem? Finding balance is also healthy letting go of being perfect in every area of life. It does not mean giving up on development at the same time.
In another study by a student of the same University, where the importance of stress in the situation of maintaining balance between work and private life was examined, it was noticed that the feeling of stress at work increases in difficult and unexpected situations. The presence of Covid-19 is also important. The results emphasized that work-related stress often upset the work-home balance. It was also noticed that work problems were transferred home much more often than family problems had an impact on working life.
In life, we don’t act like a computer, where we turn on one program and turn off another. It is not always possible to separate work and private life. What should your goal be? A panacea is to relieve negative feelings and emotions in response to stress resulting from work and family life.
My must have for balance!
Talking, being with nature, relaxing, appropriate sounds, yoga, training or meditation can bring you relief, help eliminate back pain, headaches or insomnia caused by tension.
Balance is my indispensable assistant in achieving balance. Balans is a unique place in the Diet & Training by Ann application. You will find here sounds from the natural world and original, relaxing music. Thanks to Balans, I can feel like I was just walking in the woods or along the seashore in literally every place in the world. When I need to calm down, hear my thoughts and distance myself from my surroundings, Balance acts as a plaster on the wound. A few minutes is a special time for me with myself and for myself. Workouts and yoga are equally valuable ways to strive for achievement work-life balance. If you don’t have enough time, I recommend training with friends. Who said you can’t have your cake and eat your cake? You know I love challenges. During the challenges, we motivate each other, create one community, support each other and give each other positive energy. Challenges in the application and live with you are also a way to achieve balance. Do you agree with me? Who do I see on the next challenge?
- Gragnano A, Simbula S, Miglioretti M. Work–Life Balance: Weighing the Importance of Work–Family and Work–Health Balance. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2020, 17(3), 907
- Krzykus J. edited by Gruszewska E, Roszkowska M. Balance between work and private life – challenges of a modern woman. Contemporary economic problems in research by young scientists. Macro and mesoeconomic analyzes. 2019 (3): 161-168
- Majewska M. Work-life balance in corporate employees up to 35 years of age. Jagiellonian university. 2021
- Mitera A. The importance of stress in a situation of maintaining balance between work and private life. Jagiellonian university. 2020
- Sadowska-Snarska C, Machol-Zajda L, Głogosz D, Flexible forms of work. A guide for employees, Publishing House of the University of Economics in Białystok, Białystok 2007
We would love to give thanks to the author of this article for this amazing material
Work-life balance – how to find the golden mean